[Duo2400]

Grizzly grizzlygiant1 at stic.net
Mon Jul 21 11:43:07 PDT 2003

Richard Bussone wrote:

> Just to make sure I was clear the trackpad is still intact,
> but it is the thin ribbon like connector that is torn.  I am not sure
> what it is called, but it is thin, red, branches it two and goes to the
> cover of the computer where the trackpad is located.
>
> Rich

Hello Rich:

It is also possible to (carefully) scrape the plastic covering off the
two torn ribbon halves and use a metal conducting glue like Arctic
Silver thermal adhesive, or Dotite, (and there is another one that I
have heard of, but I can't remember its name) to reestablish the
necessary connections.  If you want it, email me and I will look for it.

You can get these off the web searching for their names or possibly at a
local electronics or computer store, or possibly an electrical supply shop.

Personally, I have tried both the trackpad and ball for over a month
each and I find the trackpad to be more precise if I use the "finger on"
method where my finger is left on the pad when I click.  The trackball
is faster, but less precise because it tends to roll as I try to click.
The one _real_ advantage to the trackball setup on the 230 Duo I use is
that there are _two_ click pads, above and below the ball, which means
when my thumb gets tired of clicking, I can use my other fingers (for clicking)

Sincerely yours, Grizzlygiant