List Etiquette

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 20:53:17 PDT 2003

While I'm not the LIstMom, I've been around here long enough to see
how our group membership changes as old folks leave and new folks
join in.  Eric Prentice is the ListMom, but rarely has time to
moderate this list...and for what it's worth this list has a great
reputation for having a very positive signal/noise ratio and sense of
community.  We definitely don't want to loose that. ;-)

In any case, the following is the guidance Eric sends out
periodically and I thought it might be worth sharing again. It would
be particularly helpful if everyone would remember to snip all
extraneous text when replying to a post,  including the standard
trailers the software adds to every message.

	"#4 Have I removed all the non-essential parts of the message
I'm replying to?"

Also, if you didn't know, there are two ways to search the list
archive for some great past postings on common subjects:

A searchable archive of past postings is available at:
	http://lists.themacintoshguy.com/Lists/DuoList/List.html

If this isn't working try:
	http://www.mail-archive.com/duolist%40lists.themacintoshguy.com/

Cheers...

>Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:16:57 -0700
>To: The MacGuy Lists:;
>From: ListMom <listmom at themacintoshguy.com>
>Subject: From ListMom, Please Read
>
>Hello,
>Things have been a little crazy on some of the lists so I'm hoping
>this little reminder will help clean things up. For those of you
>that don't know, in addition to being the ListMom, I'm also a
>husband, father of three, and CEO of Dr. Bott LLC. Needless to say,
>I'm finding less time to keep on top of the lists since we first
>started more than 4 years ago.
>
>Each one of your help is appreciated in keeping the lists on track
>and not reacting to those who don't. The only thing worse that a
>list with an off-topic post, is a list full of people reacting to
>off-topic posts.
>
>I also want to comment briefly on signatures, generally signatures
>as long as they are less than about 6 lines and don't contain
>information immediately offensive to the most people, pretty much
>anything goes. Please be both considerate in creating yours, and
>thick skinned when you come across others.
>
>Below are some guidelines that should help you decide whether to
>actually send something you have written to the list. Just to make
>it clear, some things that are never acceptable on the lists are
>profanity or name calling.
>
>-----------
>I just wanted to send a note to ask each person on the list to
>consider a couple things before clicking the "send" button.
>
>#1 Does this message have anything to do with the topic of the list?
>
>#2 Will this message be of benefit to the people on the list who
>will be reading it?
>
>#3 Will this message contribute to the general feeling of community
>on the list?
>
>#4 Have I removed all the non-essential parts of the message I'm replying to?
>
>If the answer to any of the above questions is "no", please DON'T
>SEND THE MESSAGE TO THE LIST! Edit it, delete it, do anything with
>it but don't send it to the list.  If you aren't sure if a message
>is appropriate feel free to send it to me first and ask.
>----------
>
>Thanks for taking to time to listen and help keep this list a
>helpful community for Mac folks.
>
>Eric Prentice
>ListMom
>http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.