Software advice (Was: DuoList Digest #3829)

Bill Judson jutso at ripco.com
Wed Jun 4 08:33:29 PDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:40:13 -0400
jeff hewitt <beatniqe at cavtel.net> wrote:

> Just purchased a 2400c/180 off ebay, got a few questions:

Cool! -- that's my drool machine these days. I have a 270c & appreciate
the lightness (but not the trackball... 8-( )

> Which OS should i run?  I'm one of hose odd users who went from system
> 6 to os x, and am not all that familiar with 7, 8 or 9.
>
> Any suggestions for software? I'll be using it extensively for word
> processing and coding, along with web development. My favorite word
> processor was clarisworks 3.o, but i dont think itll run on this?  I'm

ClarisWorks 2.1 works fine for me under 8.6 on my beige G3 desktop.

> specifically looking for a graphics editor (currently using photoshop
> 6) that will optimize graphics for web consumption, and a coding app
> comparable to hydra for os x.

GraphicConverter...? (Don't know what you mean by coding app: text editor
or whole environment? Wouldn't know what to say about the later, I did all
my pages in BBEdit "Lite". I'm trying out a new web editor called WebDesign
1.8 that I found a free version of in the UK mag MacFormat for April; they
also have shareware versions online. <http://www.ragesw.com/webdesign.php>
It looks like a complete web development environment, they even have php
syntax checking.

--
Over,

        Jutso