[Duo2400] Re: Need some help w/ Duo RAM limits...

Scott Holder ncc1701 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 4 18:44:43 PDT 2003

At 10:36 PM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
><snip>
>I'd suggest trying the 2300 with that ram module, it seems a shame to
>waste it in a 280c. I think a ram-maxed 2300 is quite an improvement over
>any 68K Duo, and the facility to use modern, fast ATA disks really tips
>the choice for me in favor of the 2300.<snip>

It depends very highly on needs. For basic e-mail/browsing/WPing/etc the
280c is often quite a bit faster. 280c is also noticeably faster in general
Finder operations, even with the 2300 running a more PPC-native OS wil 8.6.
With a bit of work, you can get a 280c running System 7.1 that boots in
3-3.5 megs of RAM and has most/all of the capabilities of the later ones.
On my 280c I've had iCab, Eudora, Appleworks 5, a game of Solitaire, AOL
Instant Messenger, and an IRC client open at the same time without a
problem, with a total of 32 megs of RAM. About the only reason the 2300 is
better is it'll run the latest IE, but iCab mostly negates that and IE 5.x
is slow enough on the thing that it's painful.

Anyway, just my humble opinion :) Unless you need some PPC app the 280c
tends to be overall faster.

Scott Holder