[Duo2400] Cache reviewed + Memory idea

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 17 18:26:34 PDT 2003

It works. The primary downside of using a flash card as a "hard
drive" is that it has a limited number of read/write cycles built in.
If used like a HD its life expectancy will be significantly less than
what one might expect when using it to store photos, etc.

Good backup approach, if you can get it to boot on startup.

There is some more detail on mac2400:hardware:reference
http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/mac2400/

>Memory idea.
>
>I am thinking of buying a 256Mb compact flash card with a PC card
>adapter. Then I would map my virtual memory to this card. Because of the
>speed of the card compared with the HD I am expecting a speed increase
>not to mention extended battery life.
>
>Any drawbacks, comments?
>
>Bob.

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.