[Duo2400] Hello! New User Here!

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 21:04:16 PDT 2003

Welcome Chris K.

>A few questions if you don't mind..
>
>1. Where is a good source for the 96MB Ram chip besides MacImports?
>2. Does anyone have any idea where to purchase a G3 upgrade?

Even MacImports has trouble getting the 96MB DIMMs now. They are no
longer made. Folks with access to the Japanese market can sometime
come across them, but I've never seen one cheaper, except from a
private buyer.  The standard answer to this and the G3 upgrade is
that it's usually easier to find a machine with the memory and/or G3
installed than it is to find them separately. There are a few Newer
G3s floating around on eBay and here, but they tend to run hotter
than the Interware/Vimage G3 and at this point probably sell for
close to the same thing.

>3. Does anyone use the IOExperts 802.11b drivers? Any issues? I'd love to
>take this wireless!

Yup, you might search the list and mac2400 has a link to a couple of
other sites that address this on the News page.

>4. Any recommendations for a new 2400c user? Care tips? Any common issues
>and solutions?

Don't run it on an external monitor with the lid down. Keep the
bottom open....basically don't let it overheat.  Since you have the
Yu-Plan keyboard its probably been upgraded to 80MB. If not. that
should be your first upgrade. A bigger/faster harddrive also improves
performance significantly over stock. The memory upgrade is easy. The
HD is a bit more tedious and risky...but doable with care.

Cheers, enjoy and try to score a second battery.

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.