[Duo2400] Re: Duo 280c

Cheyanne & Randy charan at camtel.net
Tue Jun 24 08:09:11 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003, at 04:20 US/Central, Roger Gouin wrote:

>> Settings: Japan. I assume this is the problem. How do
>> I change this?
>>
>> System info.
>>
>> Finder: v8.1
>> System: v8.1 US
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated
>> Brian
>>
> I found that Express Modem software unstable, in fact it stopped
> working. Thanks to someone on the list for telling me about a better
> option, IMHO.
> http://www.globalvillage.com/support/update-pp-mercury5xx-2.5.5.html
>
> but you could also try different modem settings as that one is fursure
> not it.

Roger and Brian,

I am not  sure that you can use the Global Villiage software to run
Apple's global express modem.  I haven't tried to do it but I think GV
software only  goes with GV modem.

I just snooped around on my 280 with an express modem and it says that
the modem "auto detects" whichever country settings to use.  If I were
you, I'd yank the express modem preferences out of the system folder
and restart the computer.  After that hook your computer to the phone
line and input all your settings again and then try dialing up your ISP.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll blindly suggest other stuff
:-).  BTW, the express modem and software is pretty close to black
magic... it is difficult to set up and operate and many times it just
does whatever the hell it wants (Don't try the auto answering stuff,
answering machine software or the fax stuff unless you have a few days
to try to get it working and love a HUGE challange).  If you can find
the GV software and modem, it's worth the trouble to install the modem
and software.

good luck,

Randy

You can't run a country/By a book of religion/Not by a heap/Or a lump
or a smidgeon/Of foolish rules/Of ancient date/Designed to make/You all
feel great/While you fold, spindle/And mutilate/Those unbelievers/From
a neighboring state --Frank Zappa