[Duo2400] Re: Duo 280c

Brian Getz briang113 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 10:04:03 PDT 2003

http://www.globalvillage.com/support/update-pp-mercury5xx-2.5.5.html

> > but you could also try different modem settings as
> that one is fursure
> > not it.
>
> Roger and Brian,
>
> I am not  sure that you can use the Global Villiage
> software to run
> Apple's global express modem.  I haven't tried to do
> it but I think GV
> software only  goes with GV modem.
>
> I just snooped around on my 280 with an express
> modem and it says that
> the modem "auto detects" whichever country settings
> to use.  If I were
> you, I'd yank the express modem preferences out of
> the system folder
> and restart the computer.  After that hook your
> computer to the phone
> line and input all your settings again and then try
> dialing up your ISP.
>
> If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll blindly
> suggest other stuff
> :-).  BTW, the express modem and software is pretty
> close to black
> magic... it is difficult to set up and operate and
> many times it just
> does whatever the hell it wants (Don't try the auto
> answering stuff,
> answering machine software or the fax stuff unless
> you have a few days
> to try to get it working and love a HUGE challange).
>  If you can find
> the GV software and modem, it's worth the trouble to
> install the modem
> and software.
>
> good luck,
>
> Randy

Okay  Ipalyed with some modem setting and extensions.
If i run just OS 8.1 base setting, basically turns off
the apple telecom software(voicemail faxes etc.) also
turns of the express modem control panel. The modem
now shows up in powerbook setup it did not before.

When i try to dial up I get an error message, the port
may be in use ETC. appletalk is inactive just in case.

I have trashed pereference and all relevant setting.
Restarted and still get the error message. Bad
modem????
I am going to try the GV software and see what
happens.

Next step is a reinstall of the OS.

Brian

=====