[Duo2400] Re: ADB to USB?

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 11:57:53 PDT 2003

on 06/25/03 2:41 PM, Brandy at brandybndr at netscape.net wrote:

> Yes you can and yes the throughput is slower than hell.  But workable.
> Really not worth the cost of the adapter.  You can also do Serial  / USB
> which is just as bad.  As far as function sometimes it works sometimes
> it don't. Problem being in most cases you have to do the hookup
> backwards of what they intended.

Well, of course, one (if sufficiently motivated by the challenge) could do
so.  [Actually, I'd bet that serial->USB would be better than ADB->USB just
because I thought there's more bandwidth available on the RS422 ports, but
it's probably the difference between "absurdly slow" in lower case or caps.]
One could also attempt to cross their favorite continent on a child's
tricycle...

The real problem is that an awful lot of folks have mistakenly gotten the
idea that ADB and USB are simply different but equivalent busses.  They are
not, of course, with ADB being intended pretty much solely for the tiny
amount of info that comes from a keyboard or mouse.  The fact that USB can
be used (at a tiny fraction of it's bandwidth) to hook up to keyboards and
meeces doesn't logically mean that ADB has an equivalent bandwidth to USB.

However, I *suppose* a widget that took a USB keyboard or mouse and adapted
it to ADB could perhaps be of some utility to a few folks, but it's not too
likely to be cost-effective.

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)