[Duo2400] Laser printers.

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 14:36:48 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/18/03 3:26:02 PM, small_moose_ltd at mac.com writes:

>I've seen on eBay old laserjet's selling for next to nothing. I'm assuming
>the real cost comes in delivery because they're such big heavy objects,
>but I think one of these things would make a brilliant second hand printer
>for an old Mac. Has anyone here ever bought a second hand Laser printer?
What's
>the mileage on a toner cartridge? I'm not bothered that they only print
>black and white, I just really love the crispness of the text, and for
>what is only a few bucks, could have a top quality printing machine.

I have several....all networked.  An old Apple LWIIg, a newer HP 4MV at work,
and the newest, an HP 4050N.  Gave up on inkjets as the speed just ain't
there.  With 32 to 64 megs of RAM in each laser, I can dump large volumes of
files to the printers at a time.  I'm spoiled!!  Ethernet and lasers are the
way to go unless you need color.  As for consumables, I'm replacing the cart.
in the work unit about once a year with heavy use.  The home unit (HP 4050N)
is just now needing a cart....1.5 years since install.  I print alot, and the
inkjet mess/cost was getting to me.  Heck, the ole LWIIg is still great, just
a tad slow and lower rez (300 dpi vs 600 dpi).  The Macs are easy to
connect...the PCs more of a pain, but they now happily share printers.

Andrew