2400 Audio Interruptus

RRSounds at aol.com RRSounds at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 11:30:10 PST 2003

In a message dated Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:47:27, Ivan Drucker <ivanxqz at yahoo.com> wrote:

<<
It's a time-consuming suggestion, but I would clean-install the system software, turn off virtual memory, disable energy saver, and run it while plugged in before drawing any conclusions. I have recorded audio on my 2400 with no problems.

Ivan.

Ivan, I may well do this, but rooting around in old emails I realized that I had written a letter to our group about this problem over a year ago, and at least one response was that there is no solution.

It is not a thermal recalibration, but rather the drive attempting to park, even though the drive is in use (energy saving run amok). There apparently is a little software kludge written to help with this and other issues ("APM Tuner"), but at least one source says it doesn't work with drives such as mine (10GB Hitachi/IBM Travelstar , which I had installed by MCE a while back).

It's a moot point anyway, as I cannot get access to the web site where this program allegedly resides, I so I can't say whether it works for me or not.

If anyone has it, please send it to me; it's worth a try. But I think I may need to spring for a fast new 40GB drive with a decent size buffer. Or a new Powerbook.  :-(

David Reaves