[Duo2400] Re: Serial Number

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Tue Mar 25 18:30:13 PST 2003

At 8:08 PM -0600 3/25/2003, Ralph Mawyer wrote:
>As I can remember it's not carried in the ROM or elsewhere in
>software. I know Profiler doesn't pull it up.
>
>It may be on the inside somewhere....anyone break one open recently?
>Ivan? ;-)
>
>>Is there any software that I can use to find the serial number of my 2400?
>>The sticker on the bottom has come off.

Only machines starting around the iMac have the serial number in
software (and not always then it seems).  I suspect it has to do with
flashable firmware.  You wouldn't put the serial number in ROM, it
would require custom ROMs for every machine.  But flash lets you
write it custom for each machine.  It's possible there is something
in ROM that prevents burning that part of flash to avoid overwriting
the serial number, just a guess.  In all my poking and proding inside
machines I've never encountered a duplicate copy of the serial
number.  And it would be something I'd notice.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA