[Duo2400] Re: OS 9.2.1?

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 09:51:18 PST 2003

You do not need a G3, technically, to run 9.2.x on a 2400. Apple,
however, says that you can't run 9.2.x on pre-G3 Macs -- that's not
because there's anything special about the chip itself, but because they
simply didn't want to test and support it on older computers. The G3 is
very substantially instruction-compatible with the 603 that the 2400
shipped with, and I doubt there are any G3-specific instructions. 9.2.x
ain't THAT different than 9.1.

With that said, it's definitely an untested, unsupported kludge to
install 9.2.x on a 2400, and I probably wouldn't do it unless there was
some software that demanded it or I just enjoyed the hackery of it (as I
did with the OS X install).

Ivan.