[Duo2400] FW: Apple PB2400 G3 Upgrade Project

Jose A.Alvarez Dios jaaldios at jazzfree.com
Tue May 6 10:17:03 PDT 2003

El Martes, 6 mayo, 2003, a las 08:22 AM, Sidney Ho escribió:

> Hello Listers,
>
> This is the bad news. I haven't had much time for emails but monitor
> this
> list from time to time. The G3-400 will stay king of the 2400 upgrades.
> Sorry to disappoint, but it wasn't for lack of trying...

Sidney, I for one would like to thank you for pioneering this effort
and for your time as well. The good thing is that my g3 upgraded Comet
will still cope with my computing needs on the road for some time yet.

As for the upgrade market, the trend towards the "disposable mac" is
slowly but surely killing it. I have been a Sonnet customer: I upgraded
a 1400c with a Sonnet card two years ago, I have a beige g3 with a
g4 at 500 and other upgrades that works fine, and another beige g3 that I
had been thinking about upgrading. However, to quote Sonnet's own
words, "it is, at best, highly improbable" that Sonnet will be getting
any more of my money. This whole issue rules it out and the value of
upgrades is questionable nowadays. I will save up my University's
pennies for new hardware instead.

I hardly use our TiBook at the moment, but I suppose I will be going
15'' AlBook full time in less than a year. I kind of feel like a
turncoat, but the gorgeous screen has certainly caught my eye, having a
full-fledged UNIX on a laptop is great in an academic environment, size
and weight are not so important as they used to be, and I get paid for
doing scientific research and not for tinkering with upgrades.

Thanks again,

Jose Antonio Alvarez Dios

e-mail addresses: jaaldios at usc.es, jaaldios at jazzfree.com
e-fax number (in the USA, handles voicemail too) 1 (419) 828-9794
fax number (in Spain) 34981597054