Apple Telecom Answering machine on 2300c

Charles Helfenstein jamesbond007 at mac.com
Mon May 19 09:08:01 PDT 2003

Hey gang,

I have a 2300c with an 14.4 Apple Express modem and I have a few questions.

Does the Apple Telecom software work with this modem?  I read in the archive of this list that a lot of the Telecom software that gets installed only works with the Geoport Telecom Adapter.

The part that I am interested in is the answering machine part (which I've played with on a 6100 with a full geopod).

Now my next question - has anyone ever gotten a real Geoport Telecom Adapter to work with a duo 2300c - either on its own or fully docked?

Now I know that the serial port on the 2300c and the Duo Dock are the 8 pin - and the Geoport Telecom adapter needs 9 pin - one possible work around is the Macally Port Xpander - which plugs into an 8 pin port - and has an ADB plug for power - and thus then has 3 switchable 9 pin ports.

Now obviously this wouldn't work on a 68k machine - but I'm just anxious to try to get the answering machine part to work on a 2300c because of its small footprint and power requirements, built in battery back up, etc.

I have an ethernet microdock, a 16sce dock, and a full duodock, and a Macally Port Xpander if that makes any difference.

I'd also be curious to hear if anyone has gotten a Port Xpander to work on a standalone duo or with a dock.

Thanks