[Duo2400] Continuing saga - second hand [Was: Re: Help sought...]

ELN/rlf9 rlf9 at earthlink.net
Tue May 20 10:00:37 PDT 2003

Duo/2400 List wrote...

>From: "Larry W. Virden" <lvirden at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Duo2400] Continuing saga - second hand [Was: Re: Help sought
> to reconstruct disk problem
>

>> http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/bootdisks.html
>
>Well, I worked with some of these this weekend. I got one downloaded,
>decoded.  Then I used disk copy to open the image file.
>
>I was not able to figure out how to get Disk Copy to create an image
>of the disk onto the floppy I had.

Start program with no floppy. Disk Copy will ask you for one.

>However, I was able to drag the system folder and apps into the
>floppy.
>
>The kids were able to use that disk to boot up.  They tell me they
>were even able to look around on the hard disk that is reporting
>problems.
>
>However, running disk first aid from the floppy , they tell me that
>the system still starts up with the flashing floppy icon with a ?.

You say they started up Disk Copy from, I assume, a mounted floppy, and
could even "look around" the internal hard drive?

And that when they tried running Disk First Aid from the floppy, they
only saw a flashing question mark? Then maybe the floppy wasn't already
mounted.

They need to be able to boot the computer from a floppy disk containing
DFA. Is that on a different floppy than Disk Copy's? Maybe both programs
would fit on whatever floppy has a proper System Folder to boot the
computer.

What machine do they have, and which OS version are you looking to make
work in it? Please refresh my memory

>Given that they don't seem to have an OS disk, and I know I don't
>have enough space at home to download one, nor a format on which to
>create such a disk for them, is there someplace that an owner of a
>duo 280 can turn to purchase an appropriate MacOS in a format
>that they could use to format a hard disk and then install a new
>version of the OS on their laptop?

Isn't their "OS disk" the one they were able to look around on, as you
say above?

There also might still be a salvagable System Folder on it, while the
computer just can't "find" it.

Before giving up and just going to a complete redo, can you get hold of
an appropriate vintage of Norton Disk Doctor on floppy? If not, contact
me offlist.

Bob F