[Duo2400] Re: 640 x 480?

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Fri May 23 05:53:05 PDT 2003

on 05/23/03 8:43 AM, BrianH at b.harding at qmul.ac.uk wrote:

>> No problem with external monitor, can't remember what the monitors
>> control panel offers for the PB itself, but I thought LCD's were
>> fixed resolution.
>
> My 280Cs (on which I based my original answer) offer 640*480 and 640*400.
> Several Apple portables also offer choices. But the 2400 Service Manual
> only lists 800*600.
>
> I think by the time of the 2400, buyers just wanted the biggest/most
> colours.

<http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/stats/mac_powerbook2400c_180.ht
ml> >
> just says '10.4" Color active-matrix (16-bit, thousands of colors) SVGA
> LCD'.
>
> You can sometimes get a list of 'other' resolutions by holding down the
> 'Option' key when selecting from the control panel. ymmv.

But other resolutions are likely not there.  After all, this is not a CRT
where you can just change the electrical scan parameters.  Your 800x600 LCD
panel has exactly 800x600 pixels, period.  To present you with some other
'resolution', the video would have to resample the image on the fly.  Fairly
recent Powerbooks apparently can do that with their much more advanced video
cards, but I have my doubts as to how that would look.

(The Duo offers the smaller size by simply not using a band of pixels at the
bottom of the screen.  The *resolution*, however, is the same.)

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)