Continuing saga - second hand 280

ELN/rlf9 rlf9 at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 10:06:30 PDT 2003

Duo/2400 List wrote...

>From: "Larry W. Virden" <lvirden at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Duo2400] Re: Continuing saga - second hand [Was: Re: Help
> sought...]
>

>--- ELN/rlf9 <rlf9 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> They need to be able to boot the computer from a floppy disk
>> containing
>> DFA. Is that on a different floppy than Disk Copy's? Maybe both
>> programs
>> would fit on whatever floppy has a proper System Folder to boot the
>>
>> computer.
>
>The hardware is a Duo 280.  The problem is that booting to hard disk
>results in the flashing floppy icon.
>
>I created a floppy containing a system folder, the hard disk utility,
>and disk first aid. They are able to boot to the floppy...

Let's agree on terms here. You boot from a floppy, not to it. From a
floppy, from a hard drive, from a CD-ROM...

>Keeping in mind that I am
>reporting all of this third hand - friend of the kids... - I believe
>what I was told was that they ran the disk first aid from the floppy,
>and then I believe the  new system folder was copied to the hard
>disk, but even then, the system would not boot.

Starting up (booting) the 280 from the floppy proves that the minimal
System Folder they have on that floppy works fine starting up the
machine. Copying that System Folder to the internal HD does not
necessarily mean it is adequate to start up from the internal HD though.
For instance, the internal HD may have problems that are quite beyond
merely placing a proper System Folder on it. Hence, my question about
Norton Utilities.

>I need to see if I can get my hands on the machine itself - with all
>the pieces.  I believe they are running MacOS 7.5.1 .
>

>>>Is there someplace that an owner of a
>> >duo 280 can turn to purchase an appropriate MacOS in a format
>> >that they could use to format a hard disk and then install a new
>> >version of the OS on their laptop?

Drive Setup, among others, will easily reformat the drive from a floppy,
if you want, but first try to find out what's wrong with the HD or you'll
be wasting your time. Norton or equivalent will do that.

>> Isn't their "OS disk" the one they were able to look around on, as
>> you say above?
>
>They were poking around on the hard drive.  When I referenced an "OS
>disk" , I was referring to a CDROM/etc. containing a fresh copy of
>the OS from which they might re-install things.

Okay, terminology got in the way again. Thanks. Have them start up from
the floppy again and look in the hard drive's root directory (just
doubleclick the HD's desktop icon and they're there) to see if there's a
System Folder (or two?) there in the first place. Try to dissuade the
youngsters from trying out any clever ideas of their own right now if you
can. Report back. Progress!

>> There also might still be a salvagable System Folder on it, while
>> the computer just can't "find" it.
>>
>I can check, but I don't think they have a copy of norton disk
>doctor, and I am pretty certain I don't either.  But we can check.

There are a lot of ways to go here; don't worry. There are many sources,
including eBay, for old installer CD's, but you may be able to accomplish
your goal for free.

Apple still offers OS 7.5.3 for free download
<http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html>. It's an
unwieldy 19-part download but it can be done. IMO 7.5.3 is an improvement
over 7.5.1 for every machine I've encountered so far. The OS 7.5.5
updater is free too.

Important: How much installed (physical) RAM is in the 280? The OS
versions get bigger as time goes by, so this is good to know, along with
the capacity of the internal HD. Click once and Get Info on the HD icon
to find out the latter.

Bob F