[Duo2400] Re: 640 x 480?

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Fri May 23 10:01:19 PDT 2003

At 1:43 PM +0100 5/23/2003, BrianH wrote:
>  >No problem with external monitor, can't remember what the monitors
>>control panel offers for the PB itself, but I thought LCD's were
>>fixed resolution.
>
>My 280Cs (on which I based my original answer) offer 640*480 and 640*400.
>Several Apple portables also offer choices. But the 2400 Service Manual
>only lists 800*600.
>
>I think by the time of the 2400, buyers just wanted the biggest/most
>colours.
><http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/stats/mac_powerbook2400c_180.html>
>just says '10.4" Color active-matrix (16-bit, thousands of colors) SVGA
>LCD'.
>
>You can sometimes get a list of 'other' resolutions by holding down the
>'Option' key when selecting from the control panel. ymmv.

You can't really change the resolution of an LCD like you can with a
CRT.  When LCD displays have different resolution settings they
either dither the image up or just use a portion of the screen.

My Wallstreet dithers the display when in 640x480 or 800x600 mode.
This is the same as taking a 640x480 pixel image and scaling it up to
1024x768.  Each pixel gets a little fuzzy.  While useful for some
applications in general it is best to leave it at it's native
resolution.  One of the most common uses for this feature is to
support programs that only operate at a single screen resolution.

The Duo 280c uses a portion of it's 640x480 screen when in 640x400
mode.  In this case the feature is mainly to support the 16 bit color
mode due to limited VRAM.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA