[Duo2400] Re: Non Apple External CD drives

dylan dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Sat Nov 8 00:17:05 PST 2003

actually the new version of sound APP can play mp3 quite well on even a
60mhz 601.

also - there is a program that will play 44khz stereo mp3 on a fast 040 --
forgot the name... but it is somewhere on my Q840av...

-d

on 03.11.7 10:32 PM, Gregg Eshelman at g_alan_e at yahoo.com was reported to
have writen:

>>> Anyone else using external CD drives and getting
>> audio
>>> throught the SCSI link?
>
> There may be Mac software that can do Direct Audio
> Extraction over the bus cable, but the drive has
> to support it. Some drives do not, some drives
> limit the extraction speed for audio to 1x. Older
> NEC brand CD-ROM drives were notorious for limiting
> DAE to 1x or even limiting the data read speed to
> 1x if the disc contained any "red book" audio tracks,
> even if you weren't attempting to copy the audio
> tracks.
>
> But even if you can do DAE on that PowerBook, you'll
> need tons of storage space because it'll be
> uncompressed CD Audio format data which will have to
> be converted to some other format like WAV or AU
> or AIFF before you can play it. The files will still
> be huge.
>
> Compression to MP3 or OGG format is possible on a
> PowerMac, but I wouldn't want to wait around for
> anything less than a G3 to do the compressing.
>
> It is (barely) possible to play MP3 on a 50Mhz 030 or
> the faster 040's but not in realtime unless the
> playback conversion rate is set pretty low so it
> sounds
> horrible. Some version of SoundApp would play MP3
> after converting the full file to AIFF but stopping
> or pausing would flush the buffer so the whole
> song would have to be fully converted again.
>
> I don't think I've ever tried MP3 on the 110Mhz 601
> in the Radius 81/110 and I may have tried playing
> them on the 200Mhz 604ev in the 7300. Lack of a real
> optimized player is the main problem. Were someone
> to code an MP3 player in as close to pure assembly
> language as can run on a Mac.... ;)
>
> =====
> "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

> <DuoList-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <DuoList-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> Dr. Bott  | 10/100 Ethernet for your 2400 is finally here!
> MPC-100   | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/mpc100.html>

> Midwest Mac Parts  ][  <http://www.midwestmac.com>
> After-market parts  for Macs.   ][  888-356-1104 ][

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein