Finally Got a 2400c! Please help me to optimize it/set it up for wireless

pulin at mailcan.com pulin at mailcan.com
Sat Nov 8 09:20:33 PST 2003

Hi All,

I'm new to the list, but have been following the likes of the 2400c since it
was first released.  I finally found one at a reasonable price and took the
plunge!

All I basically want to really do with it is use it to surf the web
wirelessly.

Here's my set-up:  Powermac G4 Dual 867 hardwired to a Netgear Router.  My
wife has a PeeCee laptop with a Linksys wireless PC card.

The Comet came with the following specs:  System 8.5, 48 MB RAM, 1.3 GB hard
disk,  180 MHz processor, external floppy, an external CD-ROM with SCSI
adapter, Global Village 56k PC card modem.

Apparently, the battery is in good shape.  So far, it seems like I'm getting
about an hour and a half (at least).

As far as I know, this has NOT been cardbus-enabled.

So, the advice I'm asking for is how to really optimize the Comet without
sinking too much more money into it (again, I just want to surf the web
wirelessly...that's about it).

It looks like the only browser on the hard drive is Navigator 3.

So, what type of PC card do I need that does not require a Cardbus-enabled
slot and what else do I really need to do to set-up the wireless network?

It may be a pain to try and get any other software onto the computer until I
setup the network,  so suggestions that would utilize whatever I already
have on the hard drive would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, any other suggestions on how to optimize the Comet would be
great (optimal OS, etc.).

Thanks in advance.