[Duo2400] SCSI drive testing

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 22:09:15 PST 2003

--- Paul Simons <phsra at voicenet.com> wrote:
> Am looking for info on testing Apple notebook SCSI
> drives. I have the
> adapter so the notebook drive can be connected to a
> standard internal SCSI
> cable and power connector. Question is - here goes,
> with apologies - can you
> test an Apple SCSI drive on a Windows (or for that
> matter Sun or other)
> machine and get correct info about it? If good the
> drive in question will go
> into a PowerBook . Thanks, Paul Simons

The drive itself, yes. SCSI is SCSI. Sometimes a drive
that won't work in a Mac can be "revived" by low
level formatting it using the built in BIOS utilities
in a PC SCSI controller. (PC SCSI controllers have
to support booting to have a BIOS onboard.)

If it's access to the data you need, Basilisk II can
use Mac formatted SCSI hard drives connected to a PC.
I haven't tried it with HFS+, don't see why not if
you've set the emulator to 68040, boot off an image
file and are running OS 8.1.

Nero Burning ROM can directly copy HFS hard drive
volumes off SCSI drives to CD-RW if they're small
enough to fit on a CD.

You have to be careful because some certain
models of controllers have bugs in their BIOS. An
older
PCI Initio one I had could not be used reliably for
low level formatting because on some drives it would
"add" a few more tracks than the drive physically had.
Doh!

You can't go wrong by buying an Adaptech brand SCSI
controller. The original PCI single bus 2940 series
can be bought cheap now. Check eBay. Or I'll sell you
one for $20 plus shipping. Works fine but I swapped
it out for a newer 2940 that supports Wide SCSI,
though I don't have any Wide devices yet. I could've
dropped in the 2940 Ultra/Wide but it has the HD68
external connector instead of the HD50 like the 2940
and 2940 Wide. ;) I'm just happy I didn't pay full
retail for the four 2940 series controller I have.
That'd add up to somewhere north of $1000.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Learjet.