[Duo2400] Re: SCSI drive testing

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 22:13:36 PST 2003

--- Josh Keady <joshkeady at msn.com> wrote:
> You can test the drive itself, assuming you have a
> SCSI card in the PC.
>   You will have to repartition and reformat the
> drive in order to check
> it without some special 3rd part utilities (that I'm
> sure are quite
> obscure as Win 9x/XP doesn't support HFS or HFS+)
> As long as you don't
> care about the drive's contents, you can go ahead
> and format it as
> FAT32 (Win 9x native format) and try some large
> read/write activity (or
> Scan Disk) with the PC, then put it in the Mac and
> reformat it as HFS or HFS+.

I've found it very quick to FDISK and FORMAT drives
as FAT16 then move to the Mac and Erase to HFS, or
do FAT32 then Erase to HFS+. The "under structure"
of the formats is very close, close enough that
the Erase command takes care of any changes very
quickly.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Learjet.