2300c screen on 280

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 07:59:06 PDT 2003

then Andrew <ElBrio at aol.com> wrote:
>Heh...I'm 100% certain.  Tried it, chased circuits, thought about
>building an interface, but never could get enough info on the scan
>rates and screen refresh circuitry (the differences).  Someone
>built one once, remember reading about it...and thought, "why burn
>all that time?  Just to be able to say, 'I did it!'??"
>
>I found a greyscale screen and just enjoyed 2.5 hr battery life.
>Amazing how long the battery will last w/o backlighting!
Circuitry just ain't there as ElBrio points out, so agreed it's a no-go
without some serious hardware hacking.

And another "Me too!" . . . my (main) Duo 2300 has a 250 screen, and even
with a 20GB HD and maxed ram a good T3 battery can last well over 2 hours
using the backlight, over 3 with no backlight use and all other power
saving measures. And try reading _any_ color LCD in direct sunlight!
Sunshine only improves the readability of the active gray LCD. Sadly, it
took quite awhile and innumerable Duos 250/280 to find a screen without
the dreaded corner-and-edge-darkening syndrome.

The 400 pixel high screen isn't an issue (for me anyway) with texty tasks
such as WP, email or even 'wannabe'-browser web surfing. My only major
complaint with my 2300gs ;-] . . . the complete lack of any prospects for
wifi. With such a supremely compact and portable 'Book, with its outdoor
ability where no color-LCD-equipped 'Book can effectively be used,
network access away from wires would really result in near perfection.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500