viability of a 2400

Donald McCaig McCaig at va.tds.net
Fri Oct 17 02:22:30 PDT 2003

Dear Gurus,
	Mr. Palacios wrote:
" Perhaps many of you think 2400's are awesome even though they're ancient,
> but I am thinking compared to the latest Powerbooks. I want minimal to zero
> investment in a six year old computer that has a reputation for being flaky!"

	I'm a professional writer and spend five or six hours six days a
week sitting before my 2400/240/112/40gb. I use it for word processing,
email, quick internet research (when you want to know the date General
Gordon went before the Congressional Klu Klux Klan committee, that's the
quickest way to find out) and for MP3 playback in airplanes and cars. I
take my 2400 almost everywhere so its lightness and small footprint are
important.
	It's fast enough. Although I'll get a 320 some day it'll be because
it'll run cooler, not because it's faster. On 7.6.1 my 2400 is as fast as
my iMac 400 DV.
	The biggest advantage to me is versatility. The 2400 will run
7.6.1, 8.x and 9.1 which means that I can run my older software without
upgrading to newer, often no better versions. It can be gussied up to run
OSX and I've a partition for Linux which I plan to learn. It'll run SCSI,
CD Rom's, ADB and floppies. With appropriate cards it'll run USB,
Firewire, ethernet and wireless.
	Disadvantages: It can overheat and batteries are scarce and expensive.
	Oh, and there's this list which has helped me (a non-guru) so many
times. Is there such a list for the new powerbooks?
						Donald McCaig

Yucatec Farm
Williamsville, Virginia 24487
USA