Newertech Etherdock

Marc Sira toh at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Oct 29 06:28:39 PST 2003

>Well, the control planel is obvious, and I put the .DD driver in the
>extensions folder, but that didnt do it, either.

AFAIR the control panel doesn't actually do anything more than provide a
test confirmation that the interface is present with a cable attached. It
contains no INIT code, so it doesn't matter if it's in the Control Panels
folder.

The driver itself is in an "enet" resource that needs to be added to the
System file. I believe that was from the .DD file you mention, so open that
with Resedit and you should see what I mean (the copy I have here is in
resource ID 1571, named ".enetAPI_DD". You can paste that into a copy of
the System file, boot from that file with the dock attached, and it should
work right away ("Ethernet" will appear in the AppleTalk and TCP/IP control
panels).

I recall that there were also other drivers in that package, like for the
Ultradock. You don't need any of those to use the ethernet microdock,
though they shouldn't hurt anything if you install them as well (for
instance in case you might attach to an Ultradock at some point).