"NUPowr Cache" software-provided L2 cache useful OUTSIDE of 5xx?

COCCORP at aol.com COCCORP at aol.com
Fri Sep 5 14:57:38 PDT 2003

Hi Listers,

I recently obtained a Powerbook 540c with the 167mhz NuPowr processor
upgrade. When I cranked it up, I saw that it has a control panel called "NUPowr
Cache" that evidently is necessary to make the Apple System Profiler "see" that the
processor runs at 167mhz. *

For the NuPowr 183mhz upgrade for the 540c,  it's (evidently) needed to
enable the L2 cache built-in to the 183mhz upgrade. For the L2-cache-less models it
does nothing and is not needed. *

* Info from Powerbook list member "macdan at comcast.net."

Now to my questions (that will make this e-mail ON TOPIC!)...

Say that this "NuPowr Cache" was put in the Control Panel of my Duo 2300c ...
what would it do? I know I am DREAMING here... but suppose that this "NuPowr
Cache" is some sort of way to "add" a L2 cache to a cache-less PPC processor
using software?

...and if it is not, and it IS really just an Enabler for the L2 cache on
that NuPowr card for the 5xx Powerbooks, Is There, Or Has There Ever Been, some
sort of way to add a L2 cache to a PPC processor using SOFTWARE and not a
SOLDERING GUN?

Thanks,
Craig W.
ATL, GA