Loaded 2400/G3 Pricing..was WOW

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 20 07:34:55 PDT 2003

Houlton has been selling 2400s on eBay for a long time. He always
seems to get an above-market price, pretty much based on the
extravagant descriptions.  Pretty good marketing I guess...and his
write-up this time is pretty accurate, as far as putting the need for
a 2400 in the context of the current hardware, e.g., 12" PowerBook.

I would expect this to be the final selling price, not a starting
price....and only if you really want a loaded 2400 with the Interware
G3. I can't tell from the picture, but this isn't fully loaded in
that it doesn't have the Yu-Plan keyboard.  Given the small
harddrive, I'm betting it was upgraded back when the Interware G3
card was selling for $1100. ;-)

I played with pricing something like this a few weeks ago and here's
what I think a build-up would cost w/o labor or shipping to a svc
center.

Base 2400	$150-200
30GB HD		$100
96MB DIMM	$60
CardBus Upgrade 	Free or $100 from MCE, assuming you have a
logic board that allows the mod.
Yu-Plan Keyboard	$150?  This may become the rare item now that
96MB DIMM is so cheap.
G-3 Interware	$300+ probably rarer than the keyboard,outside of a
2400 anyway.

So,  $800 or so, if you do the labor yourself.
If you can find a built up G3/Interware it's probably going to be
$500-800....and hope you get a decent battery.

>PowerBook 2400 2400c 320 G3 CPU 4 gig 112 RAM
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2754615605
>
>Starting bid: 	US $739.00
>
>I saw this on Ebay and got a good laugh, this guy is a
>little overpriced.

Brian

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.