Question about SCSI controller on the Duo series (210-2300) vs. IDE

Thomas G. Monclova samoht at bl.org
Tue Apr 6 15:48:12 PDT 2004

	Hi All,

	Does anyone know what the CPU performance hit the IDE controller
took on a Duo 2300?  Is it more than offset by newer/faster/better/memory
cached hard drives on the IDE laptop market?  A slightly different
question, is how good a SCSI adapter is on the Duo logicboard?

	I had this crazy idea...IDE-SCSI adapter on an IDE drive, then
plugging it into the SCSI controller on the 2300.

	Was that a pretty smart SCSI chip?  Does anyone know if the CPU
has to control data transfer (old-style IDE used to be up to 40% of the
CPU performance just moving data and that's one reason why SCSI was
better) or is the SCSI controller pretty good about keeping the CPU free?

	I'd need to find a SCSI laptop hard drive to test this...

	Just musing,

	-t