[Duo2400] Mexico

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 05:12:22 PDT 2004

In a message dated 4/7/04 7:01:43 AM, frank at mx.inter.net writes:

<< Thanks for the tip. Lived in Mexico for longtime. This location is a
few blocks for my office. Have basically learned to be selfsufficient
as decent apple support is rare in Mexico. What is the nearest cross
street? Puebla runs all the way from the circuito to Cuauhtemoc.

There is one stand for used mac stuff in the plaza del computo
downtown between El Salvador & Uruguay next to Eje Central. (The
plaza is a great source for components, cables, mobo's and stuff.)
Also a dusty mac store on Uruguay separate from the plaza. Have had
mixed experience at Compudabo. >>

Its been a couple of years....but it was near the Metro station at
Insurgentes....maybe at the intersection of Puebla and Monterrey??  I used a small
hotel, the Segovia, right across the street from Amberes in the ZR.  The Mac shop
was only a few blocks away.  It might have been on Sinaloa instead of
Puebla....there was a good Argentine steak restaurant nearby, IIRC and think it was on
Puebla at Oaxcaca.

Other than those guys, the Mac scene in Mexico is rather dead.  There was a
store off the Periferico in Naucalpan, but it closed some years ago...probably
1998/9.  Spend most of my time in Puebla and Jalisco now....at least I get
good tequila!  (mmm...Cazadores!)

Small side comment....was waiting for a US customer staying at the
Geneve...an American came up to me and asked if I spoke English (I'm 6'3", and about as
Scots-Irish as they come).  After assuring him that I did, he asked if I knew
where this particular town was..said the hotel guys kept laughing at him.

He asked, "where is "Ox-Caca?"

After picking myself up off the floor, I explained to the guy that it was
"Oaxaca," pronounced "hua-haka."  The local guys had quite a laugh off that. (for
non-Spanish speakers, "caca" is what makes good fertilizer...which makes
"ox-caca"...ummm, you know)

Andrew