[DuoList] Duo270c dial-up internet access

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 23:31:11 PST 2004

He wrote:
OK, fellow Duo listers and Powerbook listers,

I have tried and tried to puzzle out why I can't get
my Duo270C on the
web,
so now I come to request assistance.

Remote Access is in the Control strip. If I go to it
and click Connect,
there's no response. If I open Remote Access and click
Connect from the
dialogue box, I hear a brief click and I get a box
saying, 'The
Connection
Attempt Failed. The port may be in use by another
application.

My experience:
I think I tried to use remote access to dial up the
internet when I first set up my Duo 2300c with OS
7.5.3. It doesn't work. Use the PPP control panel or
the PPP telephone icon at the upper right corner of
the LCD to open the connection. I was using Free PPP
with OS 7.5.3, but now I use the PPP that came with OS
8.1. Both work OK after some fiddling with the
settings. One thing I found was I had to leave the
password blank in the setup, so that you have to type
it in before connecting. Otherwise, I couldn't
connect. In fact, I can't find remote access on my Duo
now. I may have set it as a disabled extension in
order to get the PPP/internet to work.
In addition, I found that the iCab browser works much
better than the Netscape Communicator/Navigator that
was on the Duo. I got LOTS of Java errors using it.
More advice-use an external modem at least 28.8k or
you will be waiting VERY LONG to load any web pages! I
tried using the 14.4k internal modem with very poor
results!
Art in Silicon Valley