[Duo2400] Re: 2400 fuse

Andy andynic at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 7 12:41:05 PST 2004

I think I wasn't making myself clear here.  The voltage I was referring
to was the voltage across the fuse itself (i.e. the differential voltage
between one end and the other).  This is a function of the internal
resistance of the fuse compared with the resistance of the rest of the
circuit, and the voltage across the whole circuit.

If (say) the fuse has a 1 ohm internal resistance and the rest of the
circuit has a 99 ohm resistance, the total being 100 ohms, then 100
volts applied across the circuit produces a current of 1 amp through the
whole circuit, including the fuse.  But the fuse has a resistance of 1
ohm and is carrying 1 amp, so the voltage across the fuse (between one
end and the other) is 1 volt.  So should this fuse therefore be rated at
1 volt or 100 volts? Does it matter?!

The current rating of a fuse depends on its internal resistance and the
difference in voltage at its two ends. These are what determine both the
current it is passing (V/R), and the power it is dissipating (V^2/R or
VI).  But the 'V' in these expressions is the voltage across the fuse
rather than the voltage in the rest of the circuit.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Nicholl
Dunfermline, Scotland