Bad keyboard?

Jerry Levinson levinson at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 7 14:47:00 PST 2004

I have accumulated a bunch of Duo stuff (2 270c's, 1 dock, 1 minidock, 1
scsi dock, a couple of AC adapters, a few batteries, etc.) and hope to
make one good 270c out of them.

One 270 boots up fine but the keyboard is bad: the caps lock is always on,
not all keys work, the trackball will click an icon but not double-click
it (first click highlights it, second click unhighlights it). Booting from
a floppy does not fix this so it must be hardware, not software. I didn't
see anything like this in the archives...

The other won't boot just now (it used to). A click of the rear power
button just gives a blink of the green light. This is probably just a
power problem, I will try resetting the power manager and that sort of
thing. Its main problem is a lousy trackball.

So: assuming I can't get the second to boot, what parts are most likely
candidates to fix the first one? Does it sound like a motherboard problem
since both the keyboard and trackball have problems or would a keyboard
swap fix it?

Finally, has anyone tried rebuilding the battery pack for these?

Thanks,
Jerry