2300 users - which OS version?

wayne ingalls ingallsw at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 15 18:32:35 PST 2004

I have a quick question that hopefully doesn't create
a lengthy discussion. I'm going to sell a 2300 to a
friend whose 160 screen died. I'm wondering what
you 2300 users prefer for your OS? Should I put
8.1, 8.5, or 8.6 on this before I give it to him?
The 2300 will have 48 MB RAM and either a 1 GB
or 4 GB drive, depending on what I find to put in it.

This is going to be used mostly for word processing,
maybe a little bit of spreadsheet work and not much
else. The friend regularly uses OS 9 and X at work on
a collection of G3 and G4 machines, plus has a 9500
at home for heavy Photoshop use. He still likes having
a laptop and used to spend as much time on the 160
(running OS 7.x) as he did on the 9500.

On a side note - if anyone has ideas on what might
be the cause of a 160 losing its screen, I think I'm
going to get that from him when I give/sell him the
2300. If nothing else, I may have some 160 ready
to part out.

thanks for your opinions,
-wayne