[Duo2400] Help with Farallon Ethermac on 2400c

Greg 2400C at retrotechpost.com
Fri Jul 9 08:55:00 PDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 9:32 AM, PB Schechter wrote:

> I am trying to use this card with my 2400c, and am having difficulty.
> When I
> insert the card, it appears on the desktop.  However, when I click on
> the card
> icon, the only choices I find for connecting to the network are
> Infrared (IrDA)
> or Modem/Printer port; I assume that I should also see an option for
> using the Ethermac card.  I am not certain what to do about this (I
> have never
> tried to connect a Mac to a LAN before), and would appreciate a
> step-by-step
> guide, or a pointer to such, if this is a FAQ.  (I downloaded the
> driver for
> this card from proxim, that is purported to be for MacOS 7.5.5-9.2 (I
> am
> running 8.6), but when I un-compress it (with stuffit), I get a
> message telling
> me that "1 of the files that you tride to expand could have been
> expanded if
> you had DropStuff with Expander Enhancer of Stuffit Deluxe installed."
>  Perhaps
> this is the reason that the file that is created by Stuffit (PC Card
> Installer
> 3.0.image) doesn't "do" anything when I click on it.  In fact, MacOS
> complains
> that it doesn't know what to do with the file.)
>
> So, if those of you in the know think that my problem is the driver,
> can you
> point me to a source of (or e-mail me) a working driver?
>
> In either case, I would appreciate "setup instructions," as well.

Well, it would be helpful if you tell us which card you are using and
what you are connecting to. Another computer? Mac or PC? A LAN? DHCP or
static addressing?

You need to set up ethernet using the TCP/IP control panel. You may
also need to set up AppleTalk, depending on what you are connecting to.
If you installed OS 8.6 before the network card was present, you may
need to do a custom install and select to add only the networking
components required for ethernet.

--
Greg G
2400C at retrotechpost.com