Dropped, Now Dark cont.

Lunamoth10 at aol.com Lunamoth10 at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 20:22:23 PDT 2004

Failed to deliver to 'DuoList at lists.themacintoshguy.com'

LIST module(list DuoList at lists.themacintoshguy.com) reports:

You should not reply on digest messages without changing the Subject field
[this was originally sent last night but not delivered]

In a message dated 6/9/04 7:16:30 AM, DuoList at lists.themacintoshguy.com
writes:

<< HOW did it go

"quiet and dark?" >>

GOOD question. I left it in on, went into another room for a few minutes, and
when I came back in - it was dark.

It's still taking power 'cause the light goes on when i hit CAPS LOCK

<<Does it boot up? >>

NO. silent. Nothing. Nada.

<<Is the case cracked? Where? >>

NO external damage at all. Obviously internal bleeding.

<<Can you

feed external video to another monitor to eliminate the LCD? Can you

access anything via SCSI Disk Mode or Ethernet?>>

All good questions. Beats me. Definitely beyond my technocapacabilities.

<<Besides, if your Mac repair guy is any good, it should make no

difference whether you let him or MCE fix it.

One possibility (of a gazillion): you cracked one or more PCB's, or

unseated the power or CPU cards. The hard drive might have gone paws

up. Too hard to diagnose without details. But I'll still give you $50

for it. ;-) >>

This morning, I took it to my Mac guy to diagnose - if not necessarily fix -
the problem. His first comment after trying to power it up: "This doesn't look
good."
He tried to dissuade me from doing anything to it other than taking out data
from the hard drive. I told him I'm fond of this critter, had taken care of it
perfectly for years before its unlucky fall, and wanted to at least know what
the problem - or problems - are. Then I could decide to fix, or sell with
full disclosure for parts etc.

So - we're not ready for that $50 sale just yet...... ;-)

He should let me know tomorrow - will tell y'all more when I know more....

After writing to this list, I spent last night looking on the web for a
miracle: quick and easy CPU CPR. Turns out that some other people out there on the
www have also dropped their laptops (models/makes unspecified), but their
numbers are not very large... we do indeed remain an unlucky (and clumsy)
minority.
Has anyone dropped a 2400 and had it survive? Has anyone dropped a 2400 and
found out that it could never be fixed?

Joyce