[Duo2400] Repaired trackpad ribbon cable

Sid Barras sbarris at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 20 23:25:45 PDT 2004

Hi group,
Nice job Peter; I'm curious though-- what were the symptoms of the
ribbon cable failure? On a couple of my pb 2400s, the "clicker" is not
working so reliably any more, one of them I've been forced to use the
trackpad to serve as clicker too, but I was thinking that it was the
clicker "switch"( The "contact" that is engaged when you hit the
clicker with your thumb) that was failing, not the connection to the
ribbon cable (or from the ribbon cable, as the case may be, depending
on which end of the cable you're talking about) --
Maybe your repair procedure would solve that annoying problem I'm
having?
Sid B
On Jun 19, 2004, at 6:34 PM, Peter Zwarych wrote:

> Hello 2400 group,
>
> I thought I'd share a story on a successful repair of a trackpad
> ribbon cable in my 2400.  In taking the thing apart for the nth time,
> I neglectfully severed the trackpad cable upon removing the
> trackpad/upper assembly (that most crucial step to remember).
> Obviously not repairable, or so I thought.  Lately, there haven't been
> 2400  "part outs" on ebay to reasonably obtain a replacement.  So, I
> attempted a repair as follows:  With some fine sandpaper, I carefully
> sanded off opposing sides of the ends of the ribbon cable until I had
> about 1mm exposed wire contacts. I then overlapped the exposed
> contacts, securing the position with simple scotch tape on both sides.
>  In an attempt to ensure contact, I fashioned a clamp by bending a
> 2.5cm portion of a straight bobby pin in half and slid it over the
> overlapping portion of the ribbon cable repair. A little more tape top
> and bottom to cover the pin and then reassembly. I was extremely
> skeptical, but, I fired it up and to my complete astonishment the
> trackpad and clicker are again fully functional!!  A somewhat
> unconventional 30 minute/ 5 cent repair job.  Will it last? I don't
> see why it shouldn't, at least until I get proper replacement part.
> "Never say never", as my Dad would have put it.
>
> Peter Z.

> <DuoList-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <DuoList-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> ----------
> Dr. Bott  | 10/100 Ethernet for your 2400 is finally here!
> MPC-100   | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/mpc100.html>
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler
>   CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>
>
> Midwest Mac Parts  ][  <http://www.midwestmac.com>
> After-market parts  for Macs.   ][  888-356-1104 ][

> $879!

Greetings from CajunLand USA South Louisiana
Sid Barras