[Duo2400] Re: Repaired trackpad ribbon cable

Peter Zwarych zwarycpp at musc.edu
Mon Jun 21 09:44:04 PDT 2004

Sid,

The ribbon cable actually tore in two right at the point where it takes a 90° turn before the end that plugs into the motherboard (when I hastily removed the assembly  without disconnecting the cable from the motherboard).. So, I was left with no trackpad or clicker input at all.  The repair was more of a "splicing" operation. As for your situation, I've noticed upon removal of the actual clicker button assembly, a pinpoint  switch which makes contact with a metal strip of sorts.  It seems to me a very delicate setup for such a functional part of the laptop that gets a lot of use/banging, and no doubt could use some adjusting over the long run.  A partial tear or kink in a section of the cable itself could possibly break the delicate wires of the cable.  Also important is that the end plugs are properly seated in the connections to the various boards, and may need to be removed and inserted again, which has helped solve trackpad inconsistencies for me in the past, as well as video input from other cables.

Hope this contains some useful info for you.

Peter Z.