[Duo2400] WTB: Maybe you're considering an ibook?

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 19:45:14 PST 2004

Donald, I have to admit I'd forgotten how fast 7.6.1 was until I had to
use it on my Centris 650 a few months ago.

That said, I'm not sure I'd put that much money into the 2400, given
your usage, i.e., used to make a living.

Like Mike suggested, an iBook running OS 9.x would seem to offer
similar speed, a common interface and much better integration and
longer life with new apps, battery life, etc.
Heck, I'd buy the iBook and keep your 2400 as a backup.

Alternatively, if you can find a G3/320 machine, it's probably already
got a big drive and max RAM(like mine)...buy it, and just sell yours.

In your case I wouldn't pay more for the G3/400, mostly because it runs
hotter and you don't need the performance gain, which is minimal.

You can tell I don't make my living writing, but that's my 250 bytes.
;-)

Cheers...

On Mar 5, 2004, at 6:44 PM, Donald McCaig wrote:

> Dear Gurus,
> 	I'm a professional writer. Most of my considerable computer time is
> with WordPerfect 7.6. I use the Internet for research and email. I
> can't
> get DSL.
> 	My 2400c/240 has accompanied me to Albania and Sonoma and crossed
> the Rockies in my saddlebag. It has played MP3's through my car stereo
> on a
> 26 hour drive (stops for gas) Virginia/Sturgis SD. Alas, it has visited
> DT&T three times in as many years: power board, processor, mother
> board.
> 	While my 40 g hard drive is partitioned into 7.6.1, 8.6 and 9.1 - I
> like 7.6. I am not particularly interested in mastering new software
> and am
> indifferent to the pleasures of OSX.
> 	But I would like to run cooler and faster.
> 	So I want to buy a 320 or  400 Vimage copper processor. If that
> processor is in a machine that's fine - but it's the processor I want.
> 	I've not seen a processor for sale on EBay in two years. There've
> been no more than a half dozen 320/400 machines in that time.
> 	So here's my offer.
> 	Some on the list who own 320's and 400's are considering a G3/12.1
> ibook. On Ebay, they're going for 700-1100$. Others might have already
> bought the ibook and have their 320/400 2400 on a shelf because they
> love
> it and can't let it go.
> 	Let it go to me.
> 	I'll pay $350 for a working 320 processor. $450 for a 400.
> 	If you don't want to extract the processor, I'll take your machine,
> swap processors and sell it on ebay. For a 320/400 machine, in good
> shape
> I'll pay $180 more:$530/630.
> 	You can come close to swapping your 320/400 for a G3 ibook and I'll
> have the fastest 7.6 in the universe - seems like a deal to me.
> 	Please post me privately.
> 					Donald McCaig

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin, 1759.