[Duo2400] Slow Internet question

Thomas G. Monclova samoht at bl.org
Mon Mar 8 13:23:51 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Paul Simons wrote:

>  Hello 2400 list,
>     I'm still trying to figure out extremely slow page loading.

	This is always a laudable thing.

	To rule out the processor (and to make you feel better against
that 486) you can try saving several test pages to your hard disk and
navigating the stored site.  In Internet Explorer go to File->Save As->and
select Web Archive.  This will store HTML pages, including images, to your
hard drive.  Then open the stored page (whatever the first page is) and
click through. This will test for your bottleneck; it being either the
modem (which it no doubt is) or the processor.  If you don't see a drastic
speed difference (as I do not on my PB 2300 with OS 8.6) then you know the
modem isn't the cause of your waiting (too much).

	Defragmenting the hard disk (Symantec/Norton Speed Disk) would
help a lot in most cases.

	-t