Toshiba HDD2144 compat.

Josh Keady joshkeady at msn.com
Sun Mar 28 20:25:54 PST 2004

A friend of mine gave me a 6gb hard drive out of a Compaq (Toshiba
HDD2144) and I was thinking I could use it in my 2400.  I have an
adapter that allows mini-ATA connectors to connect to a full-size IDE
cable, so I put the Toshiba drive in my G4 tower and
partitioned/formatted it with OS X's Disk Utility (made sure to make it
HFS+ non-journaled with the OS 9 driver option selected).  I had
already removed the IBM drive from the 2400, so I copied its files to
the Power Mac, then to the 'new' Toshiba drive, including the System
Folder.  The System Folder showed as being blessed, so I shut down,
installed the Toshiba drive in the PowerBook and turned it on...
flashing question mark.  I then booted OS 9 with an external SCSI
drive, thinking maybe the drive just needed to be selected in the
Startup Disk control panel (I could hear it at least spinning up in
there.)  Not only did the drive not mount after 9 had booted, it didn't
show up in the Drive Setup application.  Fudge.  So I tore the whole
thing back apart again, found a PDF online that had the jumper config
for the drive, set it to cable select, reinstalled it (foolishly
putting everything back together) and still had the same problem; drive
spins up, won't mount, won't show up in Drive Setup or System Profiler.

I've had the thought that OS X's Disk Utility might have written a
partition table that just befuddled OS 9.  But before I take the thing
back apart for the 3rd time, anyone have a little light they can shed
on this?  The factory spec PDF does state that it's ATA-2,3,4 spec
compatible- is the 2400 only compatible with 1st gen ATA?  I know I've
heard of people putting larger drives in the machine, but I'm kind of
sketchy when it comes to the differences in ATA.

Thanks in advance,

Josh Keady