[Duo2400] Re: Toshiba HDD2144 compat.

Josh Keady joshkeady at msn.com
Mon Mar 29 15:41:20 PST 2004

Thanks for the replies everybody.  Here's what I found out today:

It's just not going to work :-(  After pulling out every trick I know
of to get this thing to even mount, I finally tried one more search on
Google and found this page (which is in Japanese):

http://www.medicalmac.com/faq9.html

The Babelfish translation is here:

http://smallurl.com/?i=9560

Basically it says that certain Toshiba compact ATA drives have firmware
that isn't compatible with the PowerBook's controller.  More
specifically, Toshiba drives that have an F or an L in the model
number.  Closer inspection of my drive reveals that it is an HDD2144L,
so that explains that.  On the bright side, I can strip this thing down
to the bare chassis in about 15 minutes now :-D  Since it's all apart,
might as well ask, anyone have a moderately priced drive they want to
sell me?  Ping me off-list if you have anything.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Josh