[Duo2400] Wireless 2400c

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Sun May 23 15:14:22 PDT 2004

At 3:16 PM -0400 5/23/04, Dijkwel at aol.com wrote:
>Frustration!
>
>It seems I almost, but not quite, have managed to get my 2400c to go
>wireless. The Dell True Mobile card is recognized and the "Orinoco"
>control panel indicates that contact is made with my Airport Base
>station.
>
>However, that's it. Every time I try to get a browser to go,  the
>TCP/IP configuration made does not allow me to load anything.
>Interestingly, while the TCP/IP control panel starts out indicating
>the server will provide an IP address, after an unsuccesful attempt
>at contact, an adress always shows up in the TCP/IP control panel
>after the attempt. Might there be an address preset somewhere
>internally that gets activated and prohibits getting through to the
>server?

Is the address it gets 169.x.x.x???  This is a standard address range
that is used when no DHCP server can be contacted.  It is used for
adhoc networking.  Addresses are assigned randomly from this range,
counting on the random selection to avoid address conflicts.  This
169.x.x.x address won't work with your network (unless your network
happens to be using this range).

Try manually setting an IP address in the correct range and see if
you can connect.
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting