[Duo2400] Re: 2400 heat

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Mon May 24 20:53:54 PDT 2004

NuPower G3s are aluminum based and run hotter than the copper-based
Interware/Vimage.

The G3/400 runs hotter than the G3/320 for more or less obvious
reasons....just ask Intel.

I'd take either Interware G3, I just wouldn't pay a lot more for the
400.

At one time Jeremy had some temperature data points on his site, but I
can't locate the page.
http://www.kezer.net/shareware.html

FWIW, my NuPower G3 went out in a blaze of glory after running around
170F most of the time.  My Interware G3/320 rarely exceeds 160F.

You might find the post by Sidney Ho informative:
http://www.mail-archive.com/duolist@lists.themacintoshguy.com/
msg03873.html

Cheers..,.

On May 24, 2004, at 5:33 PM, Carlson wrote:

>> Dear Gurus,
>> The estimable Ralph Mawyer has suggested that the Vimage  G3 400
>> upgrade is inferior to the 320 upgrade because of heat.
>> I've a Nupower 240. Does the copper based 400 run hotter?
>
> Than a 240? No. The Interware is copper-based too, isn't it? It might
> be
> hotter than the 320 because it's faster, but I doubt that it would be
> more
> than a few degrees? Also, the amount of heat generated can be relative
> the task, I've noticed.
>
> It could be superior because it's faster. Does hotter mean inferior?
>
> Andy

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin, 1759.