[DuoList] 2400c Wireless

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 19:09:52 PST 2004

Morris, you might try the Citrix client. I used it successfully for VPN
access with my 8.6 machine.  Mostly it's a case of figuring out the
settings you need.  Get friendly with a mac-centric guy in your network
department.

http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/details.asp?
dID=2755&downloadID=3250

Unfortunately, my guess is you need a matching client to the server
software.

On Nov 8, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Morris Rieger wrote:

>> Not in a 2400C it won't... it doesn't know what an Airport card is,
>> especially running OS 8.6. Any OS over 8.6 doesn't work reliably with
>> CardBus mod. And Airport software is not anywhere close to the same
>> thing as VPN. If you really need VPN software, then the university's
>> network admin needs to be specific about what client is compatible.
>
> This is the quote off the Web site: A Virtual Private Network client
> running on your device. The University provides VPN clients for
> Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, but others (including users of PDAs) may
> have to purchase a VPN client from Movian.
>
> I looked on the University FTP to be sure they weren't just using OS X
> as a term to define "Macintosh," but they weren't lying.  There was no
> VPN for download for Pre-OS X.
>
> Then, I followed a link they had to this Movian company, but it was a
> 404 error.  It appears the company has changed to one called Certicom.
>
> But the post about not needing a VPN for Netgear jogged my memory and
> I actually may not need a VPN for it to work properly.  I guess I'll
> find out when the time comes!  If anyone else has other information or
> suggestions, please post away.
>
> Morris

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin, 1759.