[DuoList] The worst modem ever in history. EVER.

Daniel Palka macdaniel3400c at palkasoft.com
Sun Nov 28 08:31:15 PST 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 10:19 AM, Art Rice wrote:

> I don't understand-what aspect of "performance" was
> cut in half when you were connected to the internet?
> If no other programs were running what did you check
> the speed of?
> Anyway, I also tried using the built in modem on my
> 2300c and found out that 14400 is too slow for web
> pages. I am now using a US Robotics external modem
> either 33K or 56K.

If anyone has ever used the speedometer benchmark utility, they'd tell
you that it does more than just calculate the speed of the processor
and the speed of the FPU.  It runs several tests that combine aspects
of both.

The 14.4 built into the Duo is controlled by the computer (through
software) rather than by itself.  This is what makes it even slower
than a 14.4 already is.

> Both work quite well, although the
> 2300c is still a dog compared to this Athlon 1900+ PC
> running Windows!

Well I should hope so.  That's kind of a silly comparison though.

Even sillier, if that PC is a desktop, i bet it and the 2300c would go
for nearly the same price on eBay!