[DuoList] Speaking of modems...

Jughead edwinsallan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 00:59:02 PST 2004

Hi Guys,

I'm using a Powerbook 2400c and Mac OS 9.1. A PC user
friend who recently upgraded to DSL gave me his
external serial modem, a D-Link DFM-560EL. The modem
does not officially support the Mac but since I have a
9-pin PC serial to Mac serial adapter cable from the
Palm MacPac kit that I got for my old Palm III many
years back, I thought maybe I can still get this to
work on my 2400c.

When it didn't, I decided to look for a D-Link modem
script and was able to find one at Ross Barkman's Home
Page. But even after installing the script, I still
couldn't run the D-Link modem with my Mac. I continue
to get error messages like " There was no carrier
signal" or "The modem is not responding properly" when
I tried to dial-up using the control Remote Access.

What seems to be the problem and how do I get around
to it? Am I using the right serial adapter cable? The
right modem script? Is there a generic modem script
that would work with most unsupported external modems?
I really could use anybody's help right now.

Edwin

=====
"I'm The Man." Bill in Kill Bill Vol. 2