[DuoList] 030/040 duos Poll

James kilfeder kilfeder at curlewfilms.com
Fri Oct 8 01:45:54 PDT 2004

I use a 230 as my only laptop. It is lighter than any other pb, and
does all that I want - which is writing and note-taking. The fact
that it is cheap means that I can a) leave it on the table in the
library when I go out for lunch and b) put it on the back of my
bicycle. (I once had an expensive pb that fell off.) It would be even
lighter if I didn't carry the battery in it, but I like to have a
date and time-stamp.

I have just finished writing a book of 130,000 words on it .
Curiously, I find it easier to look at the small screen for long
periods than the big colour screen of my imac, which gives me a
headache after a while.

I use write-now for word processing, and filemaker pro for some
note-taking. My main disadvantage is shipping stuff backwards and
forwards to my imac. I use a floppy for this (My zip drive broke),
and I've never understood how to lash my mini-dock to my imac. I
don't have room for a full size dock. I'm not very technical, and
don't understand ethernet.  If anyone has advice I'\d be grateful.

I am lucky to have one battery which up until now (touches wood)
keeps a reasonable amount of power. I can continue writing in bright
light with the screen backlight switched off. Since WriteNow rarely
uses the hard drive, except to save, I can carry on for a long time
without mains access.

James