[DuoList] sync duo and Mac OS X

Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail izabella.misiewiczsantos at neostrada.pl
Fri Oct 8 06:37:30 PDT 2004

As with duo230 to Newton you can do the same with an eMac, you can use
NCU as described in an earlier post I made using OS9 classic, but
because the latest Apple hardware has had the serial port removed you
will need something like a keyspan adapter that will give your emac a
serial port through USB.

That's the hardware side.

 From software you can use NCU in classic but from what I heard you must
install the driver for keyspan in either OS9 (classic) or OSX, I am not
sure if your emac has dual boot, my emac doesn't boot OS9. So again,
install on your OS of choice. Then for syncing you can use NewtSync.
For installing packages you can use Escale. Some people report problems
with Escale, I find it works PERFECTLY. Maybe it's the order people do
things in. First open Escale, then open the Dock package from the
Newton, tell the dock to make a serial connection and tap connect. You
can also use Escale as a way of using your mac keyboard and typing
directly to your Newton, it is very slow though.

You should consider signing up to the NewtonTalk list. Search for it on
the web. listar at newtontalk.net is the address and type subscribe as the
subject but I am not sure if that's it. It is call the NewtonTalk list
though. Check out, it is VERY active with many knowledgeable
individuals and a very warm and helpful atmosphere.

Alex