[DuoList] The memory of a ram disk

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Mon Apr 18 16:04:38 PDT 2005

At 1:44 PM -0700 4/18/05, daniel brunk wrote:
>Forgive me if you've already done this, but I'm
>guessing you have the box in the memory control panel
>checked that says something like, "Save contents of
>RAMDisk on Shut Down and Restart?"
>
>Has anyone here been able to boot from a RAMDisk?  I
>thought the contents of the Disk weren't reloaded
>until after the boot process.  (In other words, you'd
>have to finish booting before you even had a RAMDisk
>to tell the computer to boot from.)

The RAMDisk image is stored on HD it doesn't get loaded into the
RAMDisk until after an OS gets loaded from the HD (or other drive).
So you have to boot off the HD to load the RAMDisk then reboot from
the RAMDisk.  The only way around this is to use a Flash card in a
2400.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA